Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Poetic Note


Reaching for Sun by Tracie Vaughn Zimmer is a collection of poems which tell a story about a young girl with cerebral palsy. This book is a great way for students to see what it is like to be a young girl growing up with cerebral palsy, in a way which all students can relate. I think that this story may open some students’ eyes about what it is like to be teased, especially since what makes Josie different is that she just looks different, and when students make fun of her for being “retarded”, it only makes those students look ignorant. I think this book would be a great way to open up conversations about students with handicaps.  I loved this book and I think you definitely will too!
Web resources:
An article on why inclusion books are important. There is also a list of some other books you may like.
A government website about cerebral palsy, which could be helpful in answering any questions students have on cerebral palsy.
The author’s page which has information about the book as well as an interview with the author.
Before Reading: I would go over the vocabulary and have the students fill out a sheet with the definitions on them to keep with their books as they read. Then I would ask them who knows what cerebral palsy is? After talking about cerebral palsy I would discuss with the class what it means to have cerebral palsy.
After Reading: Since this book is written in a series of poems I would have my students write their own poem I am poem using: I am poem generator.
During Reading: I would ask the students to summarize on their own in their journals after every 2-3 chapters. I would also like them to make any connections or predictions that they can.
Vocabulary: etched, misdial, vinyl, mourn, tormentors, rehabilitation, chintz, porcelain, ogre, mosaic, gnomes, foliage, poppies, satiny, cerebral palsy, boll weevil, mortared, crochets, akimbo, hideous, Buddleia, boxwoods, terra cotta, palette, mural, foyer, spores, crimson, metronome, taut, croissant, prodding, and fluorescent.     

No comments:

Post a Comment